Saturday, October 17, 2009

Cleaning the Microwave

One of the things that really bothered me about my husband early in our marriage was how differently he prioritized things than I do. The classic example I would always give of this was his cleaning of our microwave.

This was back in the days when we both worked outside the home. I was a criminal defense attorney and he worked as an auditor for a big accounting firm. We had a pretty small one bedroom apartment and no kids but somehow even then things did get dirty and we needed to do a big clean every week or so.

I remember so many times being in a hurry to get the place presentable for guests or whatever and Jonathan would be helping. There were dishes piled in the sink and cooking mess all over the kitchen and the kitchen table to be cleared off and wiped down and stuff put away in the family. You know -- obvious messes to clean. And what would my husband be doing? Cleaning the inside of the microwave. I mean, yes, it was dirty but is of our company really going to look in there when they come over in 15 minutes? This really used to frustrate me.

So for weeks now Jon has been saying, "we really need to clean out the inside of the microwave." And I have been replying, "I know. I know!" I am not sure when we cleaned it last but it was needing it badly and it was about the very last job on my list that I wanted or felt pressed to do.

A couple of days ago I came in from playing with the kids outside and found my husband cleaning out the inside of the microwave. The kitchen wasn't spotless and the family room could have been cleaned up, but I couldn't have been happier to be married to a man who had "Clean Out Microwave" on his priority list. I can get around to wiping down the counters and picking up the baby toys off the family room floor. I can make the kids pick up their countless shoes that litter our floor. And I am so glad I do not have to be the one to clean out the inside of our microwave.

I love you Jonathan! Thank you!

15 comments:

Carolyn said...

Good post Steph! ...Jonathan is a great guy... he and his brother are so much a like. I have a similar story but mine would be called "pruning the tree". Love ya!

Hey! I'm coming into town on Nov. 18th!

Amanda said...

I wish I could get my husband to clean...

e said...

Jonathan's in good company. I can remember my dad, on multiple occasions, cleaning out the junk drawer 15 minutes before the company arrived. it seemed to drive my mom crazy!

Susan Anderson said...

My husband often does the same type of thing, but you're right. I figure...at least he's doing something towards getting our jobs done!

(Having said that, I could have company coming, a huge mess in the house proper, and he will be cleaning out the linen closet...)

Samantha said...

Awwwww that's a sweet post. It's so nice when hubby does a job you really dislike isn't it? Even if it's not something noticable it truly counts! TFS.

Rachel said...

My husband feels the need to start cleaning the house the minute we are trying to run out the door for something (usually a few minutes late!) That drives me nuts, but I guess he likes to come home to a clean house- and so do I, I'll admit it! But come on, why right NOW?! Anyway, on to microwaves, if you microwave a 1/2 cup of lemon juice for 4 minutes, then all you have to do is wipe it down with a damp paper towel. It's super quick and easy!

Kathy said...

I'm cracking up right now. It's nice to know it's a "man thing". My husband would also be the man cleaning out a closet when we have guests coming. Yes, they're going to check and make sure all of our games are stacked nicely in the hall closet. As far as the microwave, that so great that Jon cleans it. My favorite trick is to boil a couple of cups of water (with a little lemon jiuce) and let it sit in there and steam for a while. All you need to do it wipe it clean.

Julie Rutherford said...

well at least he is in the house cleaing. Before we had my husband's boss and wife over for dinner and the rest of us were getting ready my husband was cleaning the car.

Unknown said...

He's the MAN!! Mine does dishes (VERY differently than I), and after a few years I resorted to just being grateful for the help instead of being irritated that it wasn't done "right". It's WONDERFUL to have helpful husbands. :)

Anonymous said...

there's a deeper meaning here

Jonathan Waite said...

Rachel and Kathy,
Thank you for the suggestion -- i will likely use it next time to more efficiently make use of my "cleaning the microwave" time. For those "afflicted" with this condition of taking care of what others neglect (both men and women), I'd like to think that we take care of what's important but not urgent (just giving a shout out to Dr. Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People--still can't convince Steph that it's worth a read). Then again, maybe I'm romanticizing the bacteria in my microwave...

Stephanie Waite said...

I concur that reading Steven Covey's book is worthwhile. That is unless you live with someone who has read it and told you so much about it that you feel as though you had read it. Then I think you are safe leaving it on the shelf. I think between my brother and my husband I have heard everything worthwhile in that book. ;)
Steph

Diana said...

It is funny how differently we see life after even a few years of marriage. My husband can make a lot of brownie points from doing even just one job that I REALLY don't want to do, even if I get stuck with the rest!

Ann Traynor said...

Isn't it so cool how your perspective on your spouse changes through the years? Definitely you have to pick your partner on inspiration, because sometimes you don't even know what things you will appriciate the most!

Anonymous said...

DD19 cleaned the microwave yesterday and she doesn't even read your blog! It makes me happy to look at it now.