Thursday, May 13, 2010

Depressing

Last night I went to bed depressed. Why? Because I cleaned my kitchen 3 times yesterday and when I went to bed it was a disaster zone again. I should have cleaned it for that 4th time before I went to bed because I woke up with a little rain cloud over my head too.

Usually I have the kids all clean with me for 10 minutes in the morning before they go to school and we can get the whole kitchen and family room pretty well clean for the day. But this morning everyone was being lazy and procrastinating and goofing around. When I told everyone it was time to clean they protested that their hair needed to be done and their shoes weren't on right and they just had to rock in the rocking chair a few more minutes.

I just about cried. It was the end of the rope where I was either going to scream or cry. I took a deep breath and holding back the tears I expressed my frustration that I seemed to be the only one cleaning even though the mess was mostly other peoples. My kids could tell then that I was really needing help and I think they would have pitched in then ... but the doorbell rang and they had to catch their ride to school.

So I did what any sane woman would do in my shoes. I picked up the phone and called my mother. I am lucky to still have a mother here on earth that I can call. I am also lucky to have the kind of relationship with her that I can call her out of the blue and talk to her for an hour about all the worries in life and it makes emptying the dishwasher and picking up the toys, plates, cups, and clothes strewn throughout my house a little more doable.

Talking to my mom blew that little rain cloud away. And I did get up and do some more of the cleaning while we talked. That helped too. I still have a sink full of dishes ... but I think I may just leave that for the school girls after whom I have picked up all morning. ;O)

6 comments:

the cole family said...

thank you.

The Robinson's said...

Oh I can so relate to you right now. Except for I call a friend instead and just talk as I pick up around the house. It does make it easier to do.

Thanks!

Kate said...

I can so relate. I always call my mum too, and one of my sisters if I need further debriefing! I remember when I was a child, we would be goofing around and ignoring mum and then she suddenly got that tone in her voice, and we knew, "uh oh we've gone too far, we'd better help out". Now I know how she feels.

Crystal Eldredge said...

Hi read your blog...I lost a my son 14 months ago. I am thankful for your sweet testimony and the hope you have. It helps strengthen my own. I am too am lucky and have my Mom here on earth. I talked to her for 76 minutes the other morning...and my rain cloud also disappeared. I enjoyed your Mothers day post as well. Last year I was so numb and really just went with the motions...but this year I felt the good and the bad. SO thank you once again for sharing your thoughts and testimony. I hope you have a good day.

Kelly said...

I can relate, too. Seriously, I have gotten to that "scream or cry" spot several times in the last week. You spend so much time cleaning up and getting things put away, only to turn around and see that all your hard work was demolished. My husband claims it is disrespect, I just say it's having 4 kids. :) Neither is acceptable. I have such a hard time with it, though. I know it will be easier when they are a little older, but I can't see that far into the future right now. And besides, I want my house clean now too - not just someday! Hang in there, it'll get better.

Jodi said...

I have a sign that hangs over the archway to my girls’ bedroom and it reads..."Cleaning while little children are still growing is like shoveling while it's still snowing"...then I like to add the obvious, which is POINTLESS. It gives me hope when I hear (or read) of other mothers who face similar situations that I do daily. Thanks for the reminder that I am not alone!

Also, I LOVED your girls Easter dresses and their special meaning. Don't you just love it when you find something that fits so perfectly! I know I do! I like to think that it is Heavenly Father's way of letting little ole me know that he is still there, knows what I am facing each day, and is showing me how it's the simple things that will truly make me happy! Have a great week!