Monday, April 26, 2010

Someday

Last night it was my turn to put girls to bed. Jon and I usually split up bedtime duties. One of us puts Noble down and the other is in charge of getting the girls down.

The girls had played hard and were filthy so I made them take baths or showers. I helped Sabrina and Lauren wash, rinse, and condition their hair in the bath. Annie took a shower and was the first out. I combed through her hair and started drying it.

Meanwhile I was getting Lauren out of the tub and instructing Sabrina to wash her body so she could get out as well. It is tiring bathing the girls. 

As I was blowing Annie's hair I wondered when my kids would ever be doing this chore by themselves. "Someday my kids will blow their own hair dry," I thought to reassure myself. "And I won't have to anymore."

I remembered how often my mother would blow my hair dry as a girl so that I wouldn't go to bed with a wet head. Sometimes, even when I was older, if I was really tired or sick she would still blow my hair dry for me. It was so comforting to have her fingers running through my hair, the warm air of the hair dryer blowing on my cold wet back.

"Someday my kids will blow their own hair dry," I thought with a tinge of sadness. "And I won't get to anymore."

The ache in my back melted away and I was glad to have my fingers in the cold wet hair of my little Ann. Someday she and her sisters will be grown and won't need or want me to do their hair anymore. So I will treasure the task till then.

8 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

It's true. I'm not that great with hair, but I only had one daughter, and it was fun doing hers. Not necessarily the task itself, but the closenes engendered by it.

=)

Kathy said...

I had very long hair as a teenager and had to wear it in a bun for work (fast food). I loved having my mom braid my hair. Now I have five daughters and have such wonderful memories of the washing, combing, drying duties I used to have. My oldest is now 30 and my two youngest are 16. I still run my fingers through their beautiful soft hair every chance I get.

Heather H said...

So true!! But I will say that now that I have two little guys after my little girl, I LOVE not having to do their hair, its just so easy to wash and put sunscreen on.

Brianne Olson said...

Thank you for the perspective. I needed to hear that today. Not specifically the hair task (I have 5 handsome little boys) but the idea in general. Thanks!

Catmull's said...

I have a little girl who does NOT like nursery. So I go with her. everyone says I should have her tough it out and she would be fine. But she needs me. She hardly ever needs me for anything (she's pretty independent) and I want to be there for her. I know there will come a day when she won't need me anymore. I completely understand.

Lisa said...

i really appreciate reading this tonight. i have 6 kids, the oldest 4 are girls with long hair. 3 of them have extremely tangly hair. i have loathed the whole bathing, combing, styling thing for YEARS. they scream, squirm, and complain. they constantly tell me that they hate when i do their hair, they hate their hair, and other ridiculous statements. and i'm ashamed to say that i have replied back (sometimes calmly sometimes not) "i hate doing your hair too!". but someday i think i will even miss these seemingly-miserable mothering tasks. thank you for the perspective. i will keep this in mind.

Liz said...

I've followed your blog for a while now, but never posted a comment until now. I remember that a few months ago, you had an online auction to help a family who had lost their husband/father in a caving accident.

I came across another silent auction to help a family in similar need and was wondering if you would mind posting a link or button for the next two days while the auction is in action?

This is a great family in Southern California with five young children. The entire story is on the blog and any info you can get out there would be great.

http://servingpinklemonade.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much and I LOVE your blog!

-Liz

chanel said...

sniff sniff, seriously. so true. i'll be thinking about this tonight!