Sunday, April 27, 2008

Apostle Among Us


Elder Quentin L. Cook of the Quorum and the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints presided at the Black Mountain Stake conference this weekend. The apostle was present to create a new stake, which pulled wards from both Black Mountain and Lake Mead stakes, and to call two new stake presidencies.

During the more intimate Saturday night adult session of conference, Elder Cook shared his experience of being called to the Quorum of the Twelve. He pointed out how in this interviews to select a new stake president, both the husband and wife were interviewed before a call was issued. This seems to be standard procedure in the church.


Elder Cook then read from the Doctrine and Covenants Section 118 verse 6, "Let my servant John Taylor, and also my servant John E. Page, and also my servant Wilford Woodruff, and also my servant Willard Richards, be appointed to fill the places of those who have fallen, and be officially notified of their appointment. "


This scripture refers to the Elders Wilford, Page and Richards being called to fill vacancies in the Quorum of the Twelve. Elder Cook went on to tell the audience how he was called on the phone and asked to meet with President Hinckley. He said he met alone with President Hinckley and his interview was as the scripture said "a notification" of his new "appointment" by the Lord and a query as to whether he was willing to accept this appointment.


This was a unique perspective and in insight into the calling of a new apostle. It isn't the decision of the other Apostles as to who will be the next Apostle. It didn't even sound like a "calling" but more of a "choice" of the Lord. Many are called but few are chosen. The Lord truly does choose his Apostles on the Earth today.


It was a marvelous experience to attend this conference and hear the voice and wisdom of a prophet and apostle of the Lord. I loved his talks and the talks of our temple president. Hope you enjoyed reading one of the interesting things he shared with us.







3 comments:

Marleen said...

I think your stake was so lucky that you got him to come and speak. Seems like it was a very insightful meeting.

Unknown said...

Fun to read the Steph Stuff! I enjoy your writing. You will do well with this! Thanks for sharing with us.
Dana
North Ogden, UT

Anonymous said...

Steph,

I pulled this up and it just brought a huge smile to my face. I actually chuckled out loud:) I love that you are doing this, and will love to see the dailies--if I can manage to read them daily myself. You are such a great mother. I am inspired by your motivation and imagination:) Although, I get tired just thinking about all that house work:) My mom used to give us little lists that we hung around our necks until the jobs were done. SHe would mix the jobs up with jumping ten times on t he tramp, or reading a story to one of the younger kids or even doing a somersault. That was the best idea of getting us to do chores that I think she came up with--and she tried many with all the kids:) I miss ya, but I look forward to the laughs and interesting tidbits. THanks for posting and sending me the info. I was thinking that I needed to call you--and then your email arrived. God Bless, Kaitie