Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Family Matters

Divine Nature #3
For the past few weeks I have been making efforts to improve my relationships with certain family members. Rather than share my observations directly with those family members, I share them here.

A big part of having smooth family relationships involves forgiveness. When you live with people you get to see all sides of them. Not everything they say or do is edited. You get the raw uncut version and there are lots of times when the people you live with can say or do things that are hurtful, rude, offensive or just downright annoying. That is a fact of life.

There is no changing that. So I have found that it is best to forgive and let go of these offenses as quickly as possible. I have become less bothered by little things over the years, which helps. But I also have to not think too deeply or to hard about really hurtful things people say or do. Instead, I have found that if I just point out that it is not acceptable to speak to me that way or say "that was hurtful" I can let the person know they need to do better without having to let the barb sink deep into the flesh of my soul and wound me too deeply.

It is easier to make those efforts to strengthen relationships when you forgive quickly and can serve a person in genuine love.

No comments: